The Municipal Court is a shared court between Chester Borough and Mendham Borough. It is located at 50 North Road, Chester, NJ 07930.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:30
Violation Bureau Hours: 8:00-4:30 , Monday through Friday
Court Sessions: First and Third Wednesdays of the month at 7:00 PM , unless otherwise noticed.
- TO ENTER A PLEA OF NOT GUILTY: If you intend to plead not guilty to the offense which you are charged and have a trial, you must notify the Court Administrator at the address and phone number above, at least SEVEN days prior to your scheduled court date. Your court date is listed on the bottom of the complaint and summons. Failure to notify the Court Administrator may result in your making additional court appearances.
- COURT APPEARANCE REQUIRED: If “Court Appearance Required” is checked on the complaint and summons you have been issued, YOU MUST APPEAR in court at the time and place indicated, even if you wish to plead guilty. If “Court Appearance Required” is not checked on the complaint and summons, you must still appear in court if: a. You wish to have a trial; or b. The charge is not listed on the State or Local (Supplemental) Violations Bureau Schedule.
- PLEA OF GUILTY: PAYMENT THROUGH VIOLATIONS BUREAU: If you wish to plead guilty and give up your rights to have a lawyer and a trial you may do so provided “Court Appearance Required” has not been checked on the complaint and summons and provided the charge is listed on the Violations Bureau Schedule. If the Violations Bureau is authorized to dispose of the charge, complete in full the APPEARANCE, GUILTY PLEA AND WAIVER on the bottom of the complaint and summons and bring or mail this together with your payment in the amount of the prescribed penalty, to the Violations Bureau at the address stated above prior to your scheduled court date.
- Payments through the mail should be made in the form of check or money order. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Please print your complaint and summons number on the front of your check or money order. If you wish a receipt, please forward a stamped self-addressed envelope along with your payment. A lock box is located at the front door of the municipal building so payments may be made at anytime after hours. Also a lock box is located inside the building next to the violations bureau window.
LOCAL VIOLATIONS BUREAU SCHEDULE
|175-9||No parking fire zones||$54.00|
|175-12||Vehicle to operate in traffic lanes only||$85.00|
|175-13||No stopping or standing||$54.00|
|175-14||Parking in marked lines only||$54.00|
|175-16||One-way traffic lanes||$85.00|
|175-17||Failure to keep right||$85.00|
|175-19||Speed limits in shopping centers|
|225-3.F||Time limited parking||$54.00|
|225-3.G||No stopping or standing||$54.00|
- All motor vehicle accidents resulting in personal injury and handicap parking violations are MANDATORY COURT APPEARANCES.
- If the offense that you have been charged with occurred in either a 65 mph zone or a construction zone, please contact the Municipal Court to determine the amount of the fine.
- POINTS ARE ASSESSED ON MOVING VIOLATIONS BY THE NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES NOT THE MUNICIPAL COURT.
- Please make sure we have your current proper mailing address. If we try to contact you with information on your case and your address is wrong, it may result in a failure to appear notice and warrant being issued for your arrest.
- CRIMINAL COMPLAINTS – Criminal complaints must be filed in person with the Court Administrator. An affidavit surrounding the incident for which the complaint is requested will need to be completed to determine if there is probable cause for the issuance of the complaint. The Municipal Court is not allowed to do look ups or give you any information about the person you are filing the complaint against or advise you on the statutes you wish to sign against the other person. If you are unsure about what you want to charge the other person with, we suggest you contact an attorney before coming to the court.
- Please be advised that no adjournments will be granted the day of court. If you have an emergency, contact the court the following morning. Proof of the emergency will be REQUIRED.
- OTHER QUESTIONS – For additional information, please contact the court at the above address or telephone number.
- Payments by credit card may be made through the Judiciary website at www.njmcdirect.com.